North Avenue Beach
1600 N Lake Shore Dr, Chicago, IL 60613
Urban beach on Lake Michigan.
With a variety of areas to wander, North Avenue is bound to please your whole crew!
North Beach is a great family-friendly beach located north of the Loop and near River North and not too far from Lincoln Park. If you are walking there is a pedestrian bridge that crosses Lakeshore to get to it. It’s anchored by “Castaways” to the south, a large restaurant that is the best place to get burgers and ice cream. The beach itself is huge depth-wise, and there is a nice, paved pathway, making it easy to walk along the beach and admire the view if you aren’t up for sunning and swimming. There are lifeguards on-premise and chairs available for rent. But it’s easy enough to bring your own blanket/towel and stretch out and relax.
Rules (per the park website)
- Swim only when lifeguards are on duty.
- Follow lifeguards’ instructions.
- Only Coast Guard-approved personal flotation devices (PFDs) are permitted. Person-children wearing PFDs should have an adult present.
- No smoking.
- No alcohol.
- No dogs on the beach.
- Do not feed birds or wildlife.
- Dispose of trash and recycling in appropriate containers.
- Grill in designated areas only and dispose of coals in red barrels.
- Keep accessible beach walks clear. No bicycling, skateboarding or rollerblading is permitted in these areas.
- Access to the Lake Michigan Water Trail for sports such as kayaking, canoeing and other non-motorized board or paddle sports is allowed at North Avenue Beach inside the "hook" at the southern end of the beach.
- Kiteboarding is not permitted at North Avenue Beach; kiteboarding is ONLY permitted at Montrose Beach.